Anthurium AndraeanumFamily: Aracea
Common name: Flamingo Flower, Tail Flower, Painted Tongue Plant
Anthurium in bloom with a visible spathe and spadix. There are more than 1000 different Anthurium species.
Meaning of Anthurium
In Greek words; "oura" meaning "tail" and "anthos" meaning "flower".
Known universally as a symbol of hospitality.
This tropical plant adapts to nearly any environment and produces new flowers all year, giving it a reputation as a hospitality plant. It has other meanings such as; hospitality, happiness, abundance.
Symbolism of Anthurium
People who are interested in flowers have already heard a lot about their symbolism. Since the ancient times it was believed that flowers have special language and they can give us important messages. The color of a flower plays a very important role when it comes to the symbolism.
As a potted plant; the anthurium plant symbolizes abundance and happiness to the home.
Types of Anthurium
- A. andreanum: Common species; heart-shaped leaves with red, white, pink, and variegated flowers.
- A. scherzerianum: Common species; most forgiving of anthuriums, features a curling orange flower spike and arrow-shaped leaves.
- A. crystallinum: Less common species; deep green, velvety leaves with pronounced white ribs.
- A. faustinomirandae: Less common species; monster-sized plant with cardboard-stiff leaves.
Grow and Care
- Planting; anthuriums grow best in bright, indirect light. Avoid direct sun, which can burn the leaves.
- Watering; potted anthuriums prefer a rich but well-draining potting mix that should be kept slightly moist but not wet and never allowed to dry out completely. Allow the top of the soil to dry out to the touch before watering again. for indoors once a week is enough and for outdoors every 2 - 3 days is perfect, especially during hot days.
- Fertilization; liquid fertilizers are recommended during growing period. The phosphorus-rich fertilizer will help encourage blooms.
- Pruning; Remove faded flowers by snipping at the base and if they are not easy to pull off use your hands as pruners to trim them.