Camellia FlowerCamellias are dense shrubs with exclusive foliage. They rather bright, long-blooming flowers, and serve as popular foundation and specimen plants. Growing a camellia plant is to plant it correctly.
Camellias are an old-fashioned flower much beloved in many gardens.
Meanings of Camellias by Color
- White: Purity, the love between mother and child or mourning when used in funeral flowers. When presented to a man, a white camellia is thought to bring luck.
- Pink: Symbolizes longing.
- Red: Symbolizes passion or desire.
- Red and Pink: Combining red and pink camellias expresses romantic love.
Symbolism of the Camellia FlowerThe camellia flower has a rich history.
China; The camellia flower is highly regarded in China and is even considered the national flower of southern China. The camellia flower symbolizes young sons and daughters.
Japan; In Japan the camellia flower is called “Tsubaki” and symbolizes the divine. It is often used in religious and sacred ceremonies. It also represents the coming of spring.
Korea; In Korea the camellias flowers is a symbol of faithfulness and longevity. They have been part of traditional Korean wedding ceremonies since 1200 B.C.
England; In Victorian England the camellia bloom sent the secret message that the recipient was adorable.
United States; The camellia flower is the state flower for Alabama and typically represents southern beauty.
Grow and Care:
- Planting; Dig a hole that a bit deeper than the root and center it. Put the camellia root in the ground loosely will, this will help the plant spread the soil easily. The plant's root ball should place the hole 5-10 cm higher then the soil line because camellia plants are sensitive. Then press the dirt around to down plant. Do not cover the root balls with dirt but place them on the dirt.
- Watering; Use deep watering for the plant. If the weather is dry watering should be weekly until it establishes well. Camellia leaves love deep watering like twice a week. It is because camellias usually rather moist soil. Mulch around the camellias that will help moisture the soil for longer. In additive mulching will help weeds away. But remember that mulch should not touch the plant.
- Fertilization; Apply a suitable fertilizer every spring. Some camellias need exorbitant nutrients for the thrive. This will provide flowering every season.Some of the varieties don't need much watering. This kind of camellias should be water twice or thrice in 6 months. As an example of watering should be in April once and in September once. Commonly known that the camellias are acid lover but be caution not to give too much acid. They generally prefer slightly acidic conditions.
- Pruning; Pruning should be completed over winter or by early spring.