- Genus: Lilium
- Plant Type: Perennial
There are many plants with “lily” in the name, but most are not what we call “true lilies.” True lilies grow from onion-like bulbs.
At least 40 types of Lilies are available. (Check varieties for some.)
Meaning and Symbolism of Lily
The Ancient Greeks viewed the lily as having come directly from the milk of Hera, who was the queen of the Greek Gods. As a result, the lily was a flower that was so revered by the Ancient Greeks.
Meaning of Lily By Color
- White; Virtue, Chastity, Purity and Death
- Pink; Femininity, Adoration, Admiration
- Red; Love, Passion and Work, Determination
- Orange; Confidence, Energy, Warmth, Positivity
- Yellow; New beginning, Freshness, Happiness, Loyalty, Sunshine
- White Stargazer; Friendship, Sympathy
- Pink Stargazer; Prosperity, Wealth
Main Varieties of Lily1. Asian Lilies; firstly blooms in early summer. This is the shortest type of lily. Has many colors.
2. Easter Lilies (Longiflorium); this type of lily is mostly grown indoors. It blooms Around Easter, March or April. Outdoor types generally want warmer places.
3. Oriental Lilies; this type of lily is famous one. They are tall and grow slowly then the other types. Generally blooms around mid to late summer.
- Black Beauty; dark red, blooms in the late summer
- Casa Blanca; white, blooms August to September
4. Trumpet Lilies; It is similar to oriental lilies. This blooms many and with a perfect scent. Its flowers smaller and closed than the others.
5. Tiger Lilies
6. Turk's Cap Lilies
7. Many hybrids such as Orienpet (oriental + Trumpet)
8. LA Lilies (Easter and Asiatic)
9. Day Lilies; this type is not true lily.
Grow and Care
- Planting; most of the places, planting should be in the fall. This helps it to establish its root until spring arrives. The snow makes it bloom bigger. Be aware of harsh winters; Plant as soon as the frost goes. Plant the bulbs 3 times as deep as the height of the bulb and set the bulb in the hole pointy side up. Fill the hole with soil and tamp gently. Keep lilies mulched so that their roots are cool. Stake tall lilies. Likes full sun and well drained soil.
- Watering; During growth period, you are free to water; especially rain fall is lesser.
- Fertilization; Apply a high-potassium liquid fertilizer every 2 weeks from planting until 6 weeks after flowering. Apply a thin layer of compost each spring.
- Pruning; Lilies do not bloom more than once per season, but you can remove the faded flowers so that the plants don’t waste energy making seeds. Cut down the dead stalks in the late fall or early spring.