Scientific name: Paeonia
Peony plants offer big, fluffy, fragrant flowers in a wide range of colors, forms and sizes. These are long-lived perennial bushes have a history of popularity as a garden plant.
The official state flower of India.
Meaning of Peony
In their native China, peonies are often referred to as the “queen of flowers”.
A few stories about the name origin;
1. Some say that the name peony originated from Paeon that the physician of the gods in Greek mythology. He was a student of the Greek god of medicine, Aesculapius. According to an old tale; Paeon healed Pluto using a peony root, Aesculapius became too envious and tried to kill him. Zeus saved him from death and transformed him into a peony plant that many people loved and adored.
2. The other story: According to another myth, a beautiful nymph named Paeonia caught the attention of Apollo. But she became self-conscious and turned red as soon as she realized that Aphrodite had been watching them flirting. Aphrodite got angry and transformed Paeonia into a red peony.
Symbolism of PeonyThe symbolic meaning;
- Good luck
- Happy marriage
- Bashfulness and shame
- Beauty in all forms
Meaning of Peony By Color
- Yellow; new beginning and good fortune (It is a good idea to give this peony to new home owner friend as a gift.)
- Red; passionate love and romance, anniversaries
- Pink; happy marriage, honor and fortune
- White; beauty, this color also represents same. That is why, they are great gift for sincerely apologize, forgiveness and simply say "I messed up".
Some Varieties of Peony Flower
- Early Scout; very early-blooming, red single flowers
- Firelight; early-blooming, pale pink single blossoms
- Karl Rosenfield; mid-season blooming
- Norma Volz; mid-season blooming; large, white flowers
- Elsa Sass; late season blooming; double, pure white
- Rare Flower of Frosty Dew; late season blooming
Grow and Care
- Planting; Peonies make fine sentinels lining walkways or a lovely low hedge. Plant peonies in the fall.
It needs to plant deep in the soil, humus rich soil.
pH level should be neutral.
- Watering; Well drained moist soil. Continue weekly watering throughout the summer after the flowers have wilted and died.
- Fertilization; It needs to be fertilized. Spare the fertilize well in the soil. Best fertilization is in early summer after peonies blooms. Do not fertilize more than every few years.