- Scientific name: Helianthus annuus
2021 has been designed the "Year of the Sunflowers".
Meaning of Sunflower
The English name for the Sunflower is quite literal and taken from its bright sun-like appearance.
Its scientific name comes from the Greek words helios “sun” and anthos “flower”. - Helianthus
Symbolism of Sunflower
- In China it means; Longevity, Long life, Loyalty, Good fortune, Vitality, Intelligence, Happiness
- In Greek myths it means; Fall in love, Focus, Healing, Warmth
Some Varieties of Sunflower
1. Russian Mammoth is the traditional giant sunflower.
2. Autumn Beauty is a gorgeous cultivar that grows branching stems of blooms in tones of yellow, orange, bronze and red.
3. Lemon Queen has pale yellow blooms with chocolate brown centers.
4. Teddy Bear is a tiny variety.
Grow and Care
- Planting; It’s best to sow sunflower seeds directly into the garden after the danger of spring frost has passed anytime after soils have warmed to at least 10°C. In most regions, this will fall between April and mid-July. In the south, this will probably occur in mid-March or early April. This plant loves direct sunlight. They require hot summers to well flowering.
- Watering; It likes well drained soil, but be aware of pool water after it rains. Otherwise its root can rot.
- Fertilization; sunflowers are heavy feeders. This is why the soil needs to have rich nutrients with organic matter.
- Pruning; Sunflowers dislike having their roots disturbed, which is why direct-sowing is recommended instead of transplanting.