ZZ plants are low-maintenance houseplants characterized by their shiny, wide, oval formed leaves.
Known as Zamioculcas Zamiifolia.
Nicknamed as The Eternity Plant.
Meaning of Zanzibar Gem
It means good fortune.
The plant represents "steady" and "growing".
Symbolism of Zanzibar Gem
Stoic and contained, long lived and a stable presence in one’s life.
The zz plant is scientifically known as zamioculcas zamiifolia with various nick names; the Zanzibar gem, Emerald palm, Fortune tree, The eternity plant
Its mandarin name is jin qian shu (金钱树) which means gold money tree.
Varieties of ZZ Plant
There are at least a dozen different forms and cultivars of the ZZ plant.
Commonly known varieties;
- ZZ Raven
- ZZ Zamicro
- ZZ Zenzi
Grow and CareIt is a easy to care plant among houseplants. IT requires minimum care.
- Planting; ZZ can tolerate wide lighting conditions. The plant can grow under low light. This allows them to grow indoor. Avoid direct sun because it can burn leaves. It can well-fit its potting place as long as drainage is good.
- For potting: Wait until the spring or summer to pot the plants.
- Watering; ZZ plants should generally be watered once the soil dries out completely. Generally once every two weeks, depending on their growing conditions. If you forget to water your zz plant then no need worry; because this plant is a root-stock one. So it can store the water. This makes them drought tolerant plant. It also can handle infrequent watering.
- Fertilization; generally do not require fertilize. However if you want, you can use houseplant fertilizers once or twice on its growth period.
- Pruning; Zanzibar Gems form themselves, so you won’t need to prune this plant often. Remove dry or dead leaves all year round but save major pruning for the spring and summer months.